Monday 19 March 2012

Castle: Season 1

Castle, a "cop show" with a twist.  One of the many variations on a tagline for this programme.  I'd captured it on T.V. time and again and found it humourous, entertaining, and interesting, but couldn't quite jump on the wagon mid-way through a season - perhaps something that's more my issue than the shows - so, this past Christmas I recieved a lovely £20 pound gift card for Amazon and put it to the good use of Castle. 



Now, some background on why I captured it on T.V. in the first place. That's simple: Nathan Fillion. 
The guy, to me, is a legend.  First recieving my fanship for playing Buck in one of the best Halo games: ODST, I found Firefly through that game and have never looked back - i'll save Firefly for another time, but if you like good television, and enjoy sci-fi series - or not - catch Firefly, you won't regret it. 
From here, I discovered that he had a previous role as one of my favourite villains in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and was now the lead in another series Castle.  Now strangers to Firefly won't know that it only lasted one season - again not due to it's quality - so from there I looked into Castle, I saw it on a few T.V. channels and watched an episode here or there, as stated, I don't really like to do that, I like to watch a series from the start then follow it, not jump in half way then do my homework later.  I just prefer the former. 

So, with my DVD box sets dwindling and looking for something new to sink my teeth into, I bought Castle, I knew I was interested in it, but wasn't sure how good it would be.  First of all, the premise for the series is fantastic: Copycat killer uses novellist's stories as basis for murders.  Enter Rick Castle, said novellist.  He is requested by the police to help provide information on his novels, and help them sift through fan-mail and such like.  In a round-a-bout way he ends up providing help throughout the series -  I don't want to say too much about how or why because it'll spoil it for those who want to watch, but it works well. 
S1 being a pilot season is relatively short at 10 episodes, each episode features it's own plot with the over-arching plot recieving a little attention frequently throughout.  It follows the standard crime show set up, opening with the crime itself or a murder scene then the lead two finding out about it then investigating.  Now to me this series is already win.  It's taken a subject (crime/police drama) that one could say has an over abundance on our screens at the moment: CSI: Vegas, Miami, New York, NCIS, Rookie Blue, Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods - and puts a fresh perspective on it.  The series has most of the cleverness of CSI, some of the plots aren't as intricate, and they won't keep you up at night, but they are worthy of your attention, it's not as serious either - don't get me wrong, it isn't wholly a comedy, but the drama is sustained in a lighter fashion and where I find CSI highly watchable, it drains a little over a prolonged period of watching.  Castle just doesn't. It's easier to watch, it explores the causes of crimes and the effects on the victims, but more or less focusses on the leads and how it affects them. It's also hugely entertaining, it's filled with humourous scenes and lines that just wouldn't work in any other show of it's type.


It's nice to see a different take on the same idea, and i'm sure when I get my hands on Season 2 i'll be able to provide a much more rounded view of how the series is going. On a closing note, if you like Nathan Fillion, Firefly, or any of the cop-shows i've mentioned or others, this might be worth your time, it's fun, clever and entertaining, you don't need much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment